Tuesday morning (their time) Wendy and Brooke headed out to cross the Amphu pass at 5,845 meters after that they will spend the next 3 days trekking back to Lukla where they will then fly to Katmandu on Saturday and then try to make arrangements for their departing flights back to the United States, with an estimated return date of Tuesday the 7th of October. Once they have crossed over the Amphu pass they will be staying in Tea Houses where Wendy will have Internet access and she will once again be writing to all of you, so hang in there you should be done with me and back to Wendy blogging in another day or two. Thanks for checking in and following the progress of Wendy and Brooke on the climb of Baruntse. Cheers!!!
Archive for September, 2008
Wendy and Brooke are safely back at base camp of Baruntse. With poor satellite connections our satellite phone conversation was very broken and hard to understand them, however I was able to hear that they are safely back at base camp and heading to bed. They will rest at base camp on Sunday and begin their trek out on Monday and by Friday should be back in Katmandu enjoying the luxuries of the Marriott Hotel. Congratulations to Wendy and Brooke on a long and hard expedition!!!
After waiting it out for a couple of days Wendy and Brooke awoke Friday morning to blue sky and sunshine and will be going for their summit attempt starting at 3am Saturday morning their time which is 3pm Friday afternoon our time (Pacific standard time) With their time window running out and the insanity of being stuck in a tent for multiple days (not to mention Wendys gummy bear supply running low) Wendy and Brooke caught the break they were hoping for, so let’s everyone keep them in your thoughts as you go about your Friday afternoon and hope for their long journey to reach it’s goal atop Baruntse at 7,220 metres (23,688 ft) Climb on girls!!!
With visibility down to 10 ft Wendy and Brooke will hold up at camp 2 until the weather breaks. After their climb to camp 2 the weather decided to come rolling in and put their summit attempt on hold for the moment. Talking with Wendy & Brooke last night they said that visibility was down to about 10 ft and that if it cleared when they awake at about 2am they would proceed with their summit attempt but the weather was not expected to break by then so that means that they will hold up at camp 2 for the day and try again Thursday at 3am in the morning. Let’s keep the good thought coming for them and the weather to break leaving them climbing towards the summit of Baruntse in blue sky and sunshine!!!
With Wendy and Brooke heading to camp 2 today they should have about a 3 hour climb, once safely at camp 2 they will have some food and hot drink to nourish and warm their bodies and it’s off to bed as they will be starting their summit attempt at 3am Wednesday morning. Talking to them last night they sounded great, feeling strong physically and mentally they are ready to make that final push towards the summit of Baruntse. They have heard reports of heavy snow accumulation towards the top of the mountain which could make progress slow and difficult but they are more then ready for the challenge. Best of luck to them, Climb on girls!!!
Just another 9 to 5 day for Wendy and Brooke. Departing from base camp at 9am Wendy and Brooke made their way up on to and across the glacier to the base of the head wall where they spent the day ascending the 600 meter (1,800 ft) 60 degree headwall. The weather was a comfortable 50 degrees out with light wind, high clouds, and most importantly no rain!!! By 5pm Wendy and Brooke had conquered the head wall and were resting comfortably in camp 1 at 6,100 meters (18,300 ft) with some warm food and drink.
They will spend Monday making a carry to camp 2 while assesing their route as well. Their Sherpa crew has been hard at work setting the fixed line for their route and taking care of keeping Wendy and Brooke well fed and nourished. They will move up to camp 2 on Tuesday it should be about a 3 hour climb where they will spend the night and make their summit attempt on Wednesday morning. Wendy is extreamly excited, tells everyone hello, and looks forward to the next few days.
They will leave base camp and head out on to the Glacier to the base of a 600 meter (1,800 ft) headwall with about a 60 degree pitch to it, once they have cleared the headwall they will be about a half hour from their next temporary home at Camp 1 Their Sherpa crew has been working extreamly hard preparing the fixed lines for their climbing route up the headwall and moving gear up to camp 1 Speaking with Wendy Friday night (Saturday morning for them) via their Satelite phone, she said that the rain has stopped for now, there are dense high clouds but you could see several mountain peaks with brief moments of sunshine as they were enjoying their breakfast and perparing to go out on the Glacier and take a look at the headwall. Wendy and Brooke are both feeling well rested and strong, both physically and mentally. May the weather Gods be with them as they work their way up this 7,220 meter (23,688 ft) mountain. Thanks for checking in and keep the good thoughts for them coming!!!
We’ve made it to Baruntse Base Camp and are enjoying 2 days of rest. The Sherpa are putting in fixed ropes and getting the route ready for our climb – which should be the day after tomorrow. I had a bath (sort of) and got my grimy hair washed at last!
We enjoyed ‘puja’ yesterday with another climbing party that was passing by. They had a llama with them (fun!) and now our camp site is decorated with prayer flags. The ceremony was beautiful with Buddhist chants, prayers for safety and blessing, and incense. The purpose of puja is to communicate with God, to keep a thread of continuity to life and to honor relationships between this physical world and the inner/spiritual worlds. It was very touching.
Best of all, I got to talk to my new class of kids at McKay Elementary in Boston. They are a wonderful group with insightful questions, lots of enthusiasm and I can’t wait to meet them in person!
More to come soon…
Hello from Mera Peak! After an acclimatization climb to 20,000 ft. yesterday, we are now safely back at camp on Mera at 14,800 ft. No sunshine lately… all rain and dirt and rock. No showers either. Plus, in spite of the overcast weather, Brooke and I both have sunburned lips. No one would want to kiss either one of us right now!
Tomorrow we’ll be heading off to another enclave enroute to Baruntse. Cross your fingers… on the 17th we should be at Baruntse base camp.